Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Last

When I think about this as my last year in 4-H, half of me says, "I don't want it to end" and the other half of me says, "I can't wait for the craziness to end!" There will be no more county dues, no last minute projects, and no working at the county fair.
And sincde I've been at college the whole school year, I feel so disconnected. I went to the May ambassador meeting, and none of my close buddies were there. (Most of them have graduated from 4-H anyway.) And there were a bunch of young new-bloods that I had never met. So I felt really out of place.
But my local club is almost exactly the same. Only, for the first time since the eighth grade, I wasn't an officer sitting in the front. So that was a bit different.
Even then, what I really can't wait until I don't have to work at the county fair. I don't mind working the ambie booth (which is basically a directory for the 4-H building and the rest of the fair)...until someone says we can't socialize. And then all of my friends leave and I'm really bored. Yawn. What I hate the most (well, it's more like dislike with the passion of a thousand burning suns) is working at the animal shows. The beef and dairy shows don't last more than 4 hours. Poultry shows, on the other hand, start at six pm one night and don't get done til about two am the next morning. I've worked two poultry shows, and have since then told the people who organize the work schedule that I refuse to work animal shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment