Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

Long Time No See

Hey there! I haven't posted in a while because life has been pretty hectic lately. Perhaps we should do a brief summary of what has been going on this lovely month of August.

Week #1: My Birthday
I had my 19th birthday on the 2nd! I have officially been an adult for a full year now. That Saturday Matt took me to Ikea (next to the Mall of America) for my birthday. We spent an hour and a half looking through the showrooms and spent another hour and a half buying things that we need for college this year. One of the many things I bought was a cookware set. I am so excited to have pasta night in my hall this year!!!!

Week #2: Goodhue County Fair
Monday the 9th was the first day of the fair this year. But because I didn't enter any projects this year, I didn't have to go to the fairgrounds until Wednesday, the 11th. On Wednesday Arts In had their first two performances at the fair! Not going to lie, they weren't our best performances ever, but the kids did a good job. I was soooo proud of my babies!
We three directors have a running joke that the Arts In kids are like our babies. During camp they were little and just starting to walk, then on Travel Day they were just heading out to school for the first time. And the County Fair was like sending them off to high school. On September 4th they will perform at the Harkness Stage in the 4-H Building at the Minnesota State Fair. I can't wait to watch my babes!
Aside from Arts In, I also went to the youth dance on Friday night. The Goodhue County 4-H Ambassadors had invited my boyfriend, Matt, to be their DJ. I got to accompany him. So while Matt did his thing with the music, I sang and danced with the kids (many of which were Artsies).
I also danced with my friend Chris, a fairly good dancer. But there's one problem that Chris has: he always manages to maim his dance partners in some way or another. In my case, he dropped me onto the gravel and I scrapped up my leg really badly AS WELL AS him stepping on my foot and breaking off half of my big toe nail.  All I can say is: "I will never dance with Chris R. again." You have the right to call me stupid if I dance with him a second time.
All in all, it was a really good time.

Week #3: Nanny Alycia and Watermelon
The third week of August was pretty uneventful. I watched darling little Georgia. Thursday was my last day, and I was surprised with a gift from Georgia's family. They gave me a $15 Burly Coffee Cafe gift certificate (how lucky am I!!!!!) and an adorable lap desk.
After I was done with Georgia on Thursday, Matt came to my house from Wisconsin and picked me up. We traveled to his parent's house in Anoka and stayed there for the night. The next morning Matt, his mom Julie, his step dad Scott, his stepbrother Andrew, his best friend Owen, and his girlfriend (me!) all left for his grandpa's house in Vining, MN.
We all went to Grandpa Bud's (that is what everyone calls Matt's grandpa) house for Watermelon Day. This was my second year helping with Watermelon Day. On Friday we set up the Bingo and Music/Dance tents. That means that we (a) set up the tents, (b) picked up tables from Vining Community Center and set them up under the Bingo tent, (c) picked up the chairs from Vining Lutheran Church and set them up, and finally (d) picked up 12 packs of pop from the lone convenience store, Big Foot.
Saturday, the festive Watermelon Day, we did much less. All we had to do was chill out and play card games, tour many of the craft booths, eat cheese curds and hamburgers and shakes, watch the parade, and work at the bingo tent. Oh, and take down all of the tables, lights, extra prizes, stands, and chairs from the bingo tent.
Sunday we all attended the outdoor worship service, ate at Big Foot (yes, the convenience store is also a small restaurant joint) for brunch, and returned to Anoka. 
All in all it was a wonderful weekend. I had a fun time with "the guys" (Matt, Andrew, and Owen) and working the bingo tent. I can't wait for next year! Some links to inform you about Watermelon Day and Vining are here, hither, and tither, and yon.

Week #4: Currently Happening
That brings us to this this week. As of right now, it is Monday. Not to much happening so far. But this Sunday I get to leave for college. I'll update you if anything else happens.

Hugs and Loves,
Alycia


No comments:

Post a Comment